Luciano Calderon (b.1986) is a painter based in Switzerland and Bolivia. Calderon’s work addresses what he has observed in the world around him. His adolescent years were divided between the pristine Swiss capital Bern, and the grimy but lively ghetto of El Alto, Bolivia. The extreme contrast of cultures he was surrounded by sharpened Calderon’s sociological view, giving him both a foreigner’s and a native’s frame of reference.
His work exceeds commenting on the life he and his friends lead; it reveals his perspective as an empathetic observer of the cross cultural social dynamics he is emersed in. He re-presents the social and political issues, like gentrification of urban neighborhoods and police corruption, through images and text, often boldly headlining the painting with these statements.
Although often dark and politically weighted, Calderon presents his work through a playful lens, using bright colors and over stated features of the subjects to add an element of satire to the artwork.
He is represented by Public Delivery - a contemporary art initiative curated by Martin Schulze.
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS
- Museo Nacional de Arte Bolivia - Final Adoquinado / La Paz, Bolivia (May 2016)
- Centro Cultural Simón I. Patiño - 7 Pelos / Santa Cruz, Bolivia (June 2015)
- IMA - Dientes De Oro / La Paz, Bolivia (June 2014)
- Atipaña - Nunca De Rodillas / La Paz (Bolivia)
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Galerie T - Bandido Calderon / Düsseldorf, Germany (July 2014)
- Verão Arte Contemporânea 2013 / Belo Horizonte (Brazil)
- Alto Viaje / Buenos Aires (Argentina) Hollywood in Cambodia
- Cinemateca Boliviana / La Paz (Bolivia)
- Mini-Arte - Top 3 / Belo Horizontes (Brazil)